Wedding Dresses from films, ranked
I love weddings and I love clothes, so of course I love wedding dresses! I've watched a fair few films with a wedding as part of the plot, so I've come across a lot of wedding dresses in film, and today I thought I'd rank them.
This isn't an exhaustive list by any means. I've merely picked the most notable, and then put them in order of worst to best, in my opinion. Again, it's just my opinion - if you had, or like, or want to have, a wedding dress like any of these, then I'm not judging you! It's just my taste.
#11: the photoshoot wedding dress from The Parent Trap (1998)
I know that Elizabeth James is meant to be a great designer. I just don't like it at all. The dropped waist, the glittery (plasticky...) bodice, the halter-neck... and the top hat! I think it's ugly. Sorry.
#10: Elizabeth's wedding dress from The Parent Trap
It's great she got her happy ending but I really dislike her taste in wedding dresses. I like some sheerness, but not really skin-tight sheerness. Also, this is giving strapless wedding dress vibes - either wear a strapless dress, or not - don't choose a cross between the two!
#9: Calamity Jane's dress from Calamity Jane (1953)
I'm not a big fan of bustles. They're better when they have rouching at the front (as this one does) but I still don't like them. This is higher up the list, though, because Doris Day does manage to pull it off.
#8: Marianne's dress from Sense and Sensibility (1995)
I love the skirt part of this (floaty white with sparkles will always grab me) but I don't like the rest. The reddish-brown trim, while it does bring out Marianne's lovely hair, isn't my thing at all, and I don't like the coat-over-a-dress look. Also, what's with the hat? However, Kate Winslet looks incredible in Regency dresses and I do like how the hat/veil accent her hair (and that flower trim on the brim of the hat is a very nice touch).
#7: Emma's dress from Emma (1996)
This is lower down the list because it looks like a nightdress. However, those sleeves are beautiful, and the veil is lovely and floaty.
#6: Meg's dress from Little Women (2019)
I don't like everything about this dress (the sheer sleeves with the lace cap sleeves, for instance) and I still think it would look better with her hair up. However, it's quite pretty, even if not exactly to my taste. How dare the designers not consult me.
#5: Lizzie's dress from Pride and Prejudice (1995)
Although I'm not a fan of the hat and veil combination, Jennifer Ehle looks very good in Regency dresses. I love the lighter, pleated insert in the front of this one, and the brocade fabric really makes it seem like a special occasion dress.
#4: Meg's dress from Little Women (2017)
It's so hard to choose between these last few! I love the veil and silhouette of this dress. I'm going to be picky and say that I don't like the particular shade of white, and a few of the details, but otherwise it's a gorgeous dress!
#3: Belle's dress from Beauty and the Beast (2017)
I actually really like wedding dresses with some colour on them, and I love this - the full skirt, the poufy overskirt, the flowers, the three-quarter length sleeves. I just don't like that it doesn't reach the floor, but is an awkward not-full-length, not-midi-length skirt.
#2: Maria's dress from The Sound of Music (1960)
I love this dress so much. I love the broad fitted waistband, the big long skirt, that enormous veil, the fitted bodice, the collar... I love everything about it, including that flower crown.
#1: Cinderella's dress from Cinderella (2015)
This has to be my favourite. The shape, the lovely poufy skirt, the fitted bodice, the veil, the semi-sheer sleeves, the flowers in her hair... all lovely, and just about my favourite.
These aren't all the wedding dresses I've seen in films, but a selection of some. How about you? What type of wedding dresses do you prefer? Is there a dress you think I should have included?

Comments
Post a Comment
Any comments, big or small, three words or three hundred, make my day. Drop me a line!