The Blography Tag


 I've been tagged! Ruth and Lizzie kindly tagged me a while ago, as did Liz. I'm just getting to answering the questions. I hope to be around more and to do some more blogging, but we shall see... 

First, the rules:

1. Link back to the original site.
2. Mention the one who tagged you. 
3. Write an autobiography in seven words. (For this, they do not need to form a complete sentence.)
4. To make it more interesting, answer seven-word questions.
5. Tag seven other bloggers.
6. Think of seven-word questions, or use the same ones as you answered.

My Autobiography:

It's hard to think of a concise biography or a long enough one... I was going to write "Daughter of God" but that's too short... I like Lizzie's biography especially, but I can't steal it, so that will have to do.

The Seven Questions (from Ruth and Lizzie)

1. Have you read any 'children's literature' biographies?

Yes. When I was little, I read a lot of the Vision Press saint stories. My favourites were the ones about St. Catherine Labouré, St. John Bosco, and St. Helena. I didn't appreciate the stories of St. Edmund Campion and St. Thomas More enough, but now that I have more of a knowledge of the English martyrs, I wish that I'd read them more.

2. Whose autobiography is on your TBR list?

I want to read Apologia Pro Vita Sua, St. John Henry Newman's autobiography of his spiritual life. I have always been aware of St. John Henry and have always wanted to find out more about him (especially since he was made a Doctor of the Church last year), but have never read the book.

3. Have you any passed down family stories?

Almost all of them are only interesting or funny in context or if you know the person involved... Some of my family have done some very cool things, such as fleeing Holland because of the Nazi occupation, but there are no stories as such that particularly come to mind.

4. What person's biography would you enjoy writing?

I would like to write a good biography of the novelist Elizabeth Goudge. She's so overlooked, but she is such a good writer. I have to say that I like her books even more than L.M. Montgomery's... they have all of the same beautiful descriptions, but I find her characters more varied and nuanced, and the settings so evocative and believable. 

5. Which author would write your biography well?

Elizabeth Goudge, again. Although I don't think that my life is interesting enough to make a bestseller, she could probably spin something relatively beautiful and enjoyable out of it.

6. Do you prefer introspective autobiographies, or factual? 

Introspective, by far, as long as there's enough fact for there to be meat on the bones.

7. Biographies to get people into the genre?


I read A Daughter's Tale a while ago. It's the story of Winston Churchill's life told through the eyes of his youngest daughter, and it's fascinating to read such a public account from such a private perspective. 


Another one I'd recommend is I Leap Over the Wall, by Monica Baldwin. It's fascinating to hear the story of her life as a nun and why she decided to leave the convent after almost thirty years. When I began it, I thought she would be so negative about nuns that I'd hate it, but it was actually very positive about them... that was a nice surprise. I would highly recommend it.


Liz's questions (minus the three that I've answered already):

1. What is your favorite biography or autobiography?


My absolute favourite would be Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux. It's a spiritual autobiography that also explores her Little Way of love and trust and humility, and it's helped me so much in my spiritual life.

2. Could your life be a believable novel?

Yes, absolutely! In a hopefully non-selfish way, I can already think of several ways in which one could slant it to get some conflicts out of the little things that go along with my life. 

3. What’s the theme song of your life?

I have thought about this one for a very long time, and I honestly can't think of anything. I'm sorry!

4. What 7 books retell your life story?

I'm going to go for seven books that had the greatest impact on me or touched me the most, okay? I am too tired to answer this one properly. I'm sure you'll forgive me.

1. The Remains of the Day, Kazuo Ishiguro 

2. In This House of Brede, Rumer Godden

3. Emma, Jane Austen

4. Story of a Soul, St. Therese of Lisieux

5. The Gospel in Slow Motion, Ronald Knox

6. Gentian Hill, Elizabeth Goudge

7. Towers in the Mist, Elizabeth Goudge.

As for tagging people, I've not been around at all here over the summer, but please steal this if you haven't been tagged! I'm going to borrow Lizzie's/Ruth's/Liz's questions as I had a lot of fun answering them:

1. Have you read any ‘children’s literature’ biographies?
2. Whose autobiography is on your TBR list?
3. Have you any passed down family stories?
4. What person’s biography would you enjoy writing?
5. Which author would write your biography well?
6. Do you prefer introspective autobiographies, or factual?
7. Biographies to get people into the genre?

Enjoy, if you take up the challenge! Let me know what you think of the rest in the comments.

Comments

  1. You've intrigued me--it seems that I must read an Elizabeth Gouge book! Which one(s) would you recommend to start? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would highly recommend that you do so!! :D If I were you, I would start with "A Little White Horse" or "Linnets and Valerians" if you want something more along the lines of Anne of Green Gables, or "A City of Bells" if you prefer something a little bit more adult... to be honest, though, I think all of her books are amazing! (Perhaps not "Towers in the Mist", though... opinion is divided, in my family, as to whether it's worth the read or not XD).

      Delete
    2. Thanks!! I'll look and see what my library has :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for doing the tag, Cecila; 'twas lovely to see your answers!

    I've never read any Elizabeth Goudge, but your description of her is sort of reminding me of Elizabeth Gaskell...would you say they're similar?

    Oh, A Daughter's Tale sounds fascinating! (And I prefer introspective biographies too ;))

    And I look forward to seeing you around the blogging world again! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for tagging me!

      Oh, yes, actually, I think they are very similar! Maybe, as Anne says, there's more to a name than we would think :D

      It really is! I don't normally like books that are too centred on politics, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one as it talked about people more than governments and things. (I know - they're the best!)

      Thank you! I'm so glad to be back... I have so many ideas for what to write (though I don't know if they'll ever be written.. we shall see!).

      Delete
    2. Maybe that's so ;) (I find this conversation reminding me of the 1980s BBC version of P&P, in which the actress who plays Elizabeth is named Elizabeth Garvie. Very random and tangentially related, but there you have it :P)

      That sounds perfect to me! That's the way I like political-ish books as well :P

      Oh, I know what that's like - my list of potential posts is just about endless!

      Delete
    3. Really? I did not know that - it must have been strange for her to be acting someone called by her own name... I don't think I've ever watched that particular version, so I must seek that out.

      Same! Too much unadulterated politics is not really my thing :P

      I know - I have far more drafts than I have actual published posts!

      Delete
  3. Allow me to be the third person saying I simply must meet this Elizabeth Goudge now, and take the recommendations you gave the others too😜 Those titles are calling to me very storyishly here...😄It's so funny, I was going to say exactly that, and when I got down to the comments, lo and behold, Ruth and Lizzie were already down here with the same idea!

    Anyways. Lovely post, and even lovelier to see you again! Clearly there are some pleasant things about summer winding to a close, and this is one of them🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you find if you do try anything out! Her titles are the best... Well, I can't wait to see what you all think of her if you do try anything out!

      Thank you so much - that made my day! I'm so glad to be back and writing again; it's been quite a summer (and, by the way, I'm so sorry for how long it's taken me to respond to your email - I will be writing very soon🤗).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Any comments, big or small, three words or three hundred, make my day. Drop me a line!